If you're an existing podcaster who'd like to use Anchor for creating and hosting future episodes, you can easily switch over to Anchor (for free!) and won't lose any of your existing episodes or podcast presence on other platforms.
Benefits of Switching to Anchor
- Anchor is 100% free. Yup. Including hosting costs. No storage limits, either.
- You can create your future podcast episodes from desktop, like you have been, or you can make them right from your phone. That means no more expensive hardware, messing with RSS feeds, or hours of editing audio (unless, of course, you like doing these things!).
- You get full access to all of Anchor's unique, innovative features - like group recordings and voice messages from your listeners.
How it works on desktop:
You'll need to do this while logged out, whether you're starting a brand new account or if you already have an active Anchor account. Here is a direct link to start that process. (Note - If you already have an Anchor account, you'll be prompted to 'Sign in' at the end of the process):
Type in the name of your podcast or paste in your previous hosts RSS feed and select your podcast. Click 'Next' and confirm ownership. We'll automatically import all your episodes to Anchor and set you up with your account. When you're ready, don't forget to redirect your RSS feed so you can stop paying your old host!
How it works on iOS or Android:
From the Anchor mobile app, you can import your podcast once you sign up for an account.
Once you've created an account, select 'I have a podcast I want to import'.
Enter the name of your podcast in the search bar and select it. Confirm your ownership, and then tap 'Import'. We'll automatically import all your episodes and your podcast info to Anchor. When you're ready, don't forget to redirect your RSS feed so you can stop paying your old host!
What Happens Next / Creating New Episodes on Anchor
We'll turn all of your existing podcast episodes into episodes in Anchor. This means that - in addition to your presence in existing podcast providers' stores - people will be able to hear your episodes on Anchor as well. Note that syncing your episodes to Anchor can take up to a few hours, if you have a lot of them. In most cases it should be pretty quick, though.
Next, update your existing podcast hosting service to redirect to point to your new Anchor RSS feed (detailed instructions here). All your listeners, reviews, episodes, etc will be preserved.
And that's it - your podcast is now hosted on Anchor!
Once you’ve switched your podcast to Anchor, all future episodes will need to be created through Anchor (either through our dashboard at anchor.fm or with the Anchor app for iOS or Android).
You have a couple of options for recording and uploading your audio, but note that in either case you’ll need to work with the Anchor format. Read more about your Anchor podcast tools here.
- The easiest method is to use our mobile app to capture audio. Any episodes you create in Anchor will automatically be synced to your podcast, so you literally don’t have to do any work besides recording your voice (or whatever else you want to put in your podcast).
- You can also record and edit your audio externally, and upload it to Anchor. We allow you to import any of your audio files through your Anchor account as well.
You’ll also be able to manage the details for your podcast from within Anchor - so you can update your cover art, description, and episode info any time from your phone or computer - and we'll surface all your podcast plays in Anchor alongside your in-app activity.
Note that new episodes created in Anchor will have a short piece of audio appended as post-roll explaining that the episode was made with Anchor. Your existing episodes will not be affected.
You can turn the post-roll feature off though, via your Anchor account settings.