So you've got your Anchor podcast up and running, and now you're ready to get some listeners! Here's what we'd recommend to make that happen quickly.
Optimize Your Podcast
Make your podcast as compelling and consistent as possible, so that people who discover your podcast come back frequently. Here are some tactics that can help:
- Listen to 'I Should Start a Podcast'. This specific episode talks about how to grow your audience.
- Check out this Medium post on 'Getting the word out'
- Choose a theme. Make sure your listeners know what to expect, and that you're delivering on that expectation every time they listen. Once you have your theme, do what you can to differentiate your podcast from others that might be covering a similar genre (e.g., if you have a podcast about video games, how can you make sure people understand your unique voice and coverage?).
- Update your podcast frequently. The more often you create new episodes for your podcast, the more engaged your listeners will be! This will also help you standout from similar podcasts.
- Mix it up with a variety of content. If your podcast is all about interviews, break things up occasionally with interludes or songs. If it's a music-based podcast, add unique commentary every few songs to remind people that there's a human behind the scenes. If you're a professional podcaster sharing clips from your show, include some unique behind-the-scenes action to add a casual feel to your podcast; your listeners will love getting to know the people behind the show.
- Treat voice messages like any other content. Only publish voice messages that you think will add something to your episodes, and that you think your listeners will enjoy. If you want to respond to the user without publishing it, remember that you can reply with a voice message as well!
- Watch your volume. The number one reason listeners lose interest in audio is that it's hard to hear. Make sure your voice isn't overpowered by background music, speak clearly into your microphone, and always preview your audio before publishing it.
- Check out our Medium post. This Medium post offers even more tips and tricks for best practices with your podcast.
Share Your Podcast
The best way to get listeners is to share your podcast with your friends, family, and existing audience on other social networks. Learn more about sharing your podcast here.
Join the Anchor Community
Reach out to other podcast creators for tips and tricks, and help each other get the word out about your individual podcasts!