You can find analytics for your podcast under Your Podcast Performance, right on your web dashboard. To improve the depth and dependability of Anchor analytics, we are adding some of Spotify's data points - like age, gender and episode performance - to Anchor analytics. Now you can get even more personalized information on your podcast's performance. You can view the following from your analytics dashboard:
- Overview: Plays, Plays per episode, Audience size
- Audience: Geographic location, Apps, Devices, Gender, Age
- Episode Rankings
- For new podcasts, this data will only show once your show has received at least 5 plays
- Total plays for your podcast includes all downloads and plays of 60 seconds or more across all of the external platforms you're distributed to
Plays per episode
- This is the average number of plays your recent episodes received in their first few weeks
This metric was previously “Estimated audience”, but Plays per episode provides more clarity on what the stat is really telling you
- This is a great way to help you predict the average number of plays you can expect to receive for each episode you publish
- The number displayed in your plays per episode will fluctuate based on the frequency with which you publish new episodes
- New episodes may temporarily decrease this number as our algorithm is calculating plays from your new episode
- Audience size is typically difficult to calculate, as listening platforms don’t surface subscriber counts, so we think plays per episode will be a useful tool in estimating that number!
- This is the number of distinct devices that downloaded or streamed an episode in the last 7 days
- This metric was previously "unique listeners," and is calculated in the same way. Your audience may watch or listen to your podcast, so audience size better describes this
Your podcast plays can be viewed at a Daily, Weekly, or Monthly level. After selecting a desired date range, hovering over a particular day will show you:
- Your top 3 played episodes within that timeframe
- The total number of plays across all of your other episodes
- A purple dot on the bottom will show if you published any new episodes on that day
We surface all of your episodes sorted by plays for your podcast here. Your Plays are on the right side, and each bar represents a single episode, with the episode's title on the left.
Your podcast listeners' geographic location data shows where in the world your listeners are, and what % of your total listens come from that region. Clicking on a location in the U.S. will drill down into more specific locations — so simply click 'Region' to be returned to the national view.
This section of your analytics is a place to see where your podcast is heard. If you primarily use Spotify (especially if you use the Music tool), you'll see Spotify be included. If you distribute your podcast on external platforms, you'll see those platforms appear in the Apps pie chart!
The Devices pie chart will display which devices are playing your podcast (if we have that information).
Gender and Age (sourced from Spotify)
Gender and Age
- View 'Gender' for a % breakdown of your listener base on how they identify (female, male, non-binary, not specified)
- View 'Age' for a breakdown of the age groups that interact with and consume your podcast's content
- This data is helpful in getting to know your audience better, whether you’re established or just starting out
- This data can help you tailor your content and marketing accordingly, or identify new opportunities to reach audience groups that haven’t discovered your show yet
- If you currently work with brands outside of Ads by Anchor (or would like to), this information can help you pitch to advertisers
- Note: gender and age analytics are also available in the analytics section of the Anchor app
Your episode analytics will help you understand what content resonates with your audience. You can view each episodes ranking and total plays. Compare and contrast average listening time across episodes to understand what works and what doesn’t. This chart will help improve planning for future episodes. Please note: this chart is available on each episode detail page, which is accessible under Episode Rankings
- Audience retention: median play time is the point in the episode where 50% of the people who started were still streaming.
** Listener age, gender, and episode performance data is only from Spotify listens and should become available as soon as you receive listens!
All video plays contribute to your regular episode play count. For each video episode you can see viewers and watch hours.
- Viewers is the total number of unique viewers that have watched your episode on Spotify for 60 seconds or more.
- Watch hours is the total amount of time that viewers have spent watching your episode on Spotify.
Note: Due to a data constraint, video episodes published before February 5th, 2022 will only display viewer and watch hours from February 5th, 2022 onwards.