What is podcast distribution?
Distribution is when you share your podcast on listening apps like Spotify, Google Podcasts, and Apple Podcasts to reach a larger audience. Podcasting is an awesome medium because of how simple it is to share your podcast through an RSS feed. Listening apps are able to read your RSS feed and translate it into a listing on their app. Anchor makes it even easier because we’ll set this up for you.
Any time your podcast is updated through your host (ahem, Anchor), this change will reflect in your RSS feed, and then in your listing.
We'll distribute your podcast to the following apps:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Pocket Casts
If you want to make your podcast available on additional apps not included in this list, grab your RSS feed from your settings and distribute it yourself!
We distribute your podcast to major listening apps once you’ve published your first episode and completed your podcast setup.
Here’s what the distribution opt-in page looks like in the mobile app:
Keep in mind when distributing your podcast:
- We’re subject to the distribution policies of our partners, and each app has its own timeline for listing shows for the first time. Most apps will have your podcast up within 2-6 days, but it can take up to 10 business days to be listed by all of our partnered listening apps.
- No need to self-submit if you’ve already opted into distribution. If it’s been more than 10 business days, we recommend searching for your podcast on the missing app or reach out to us here to check on the status of your distribution.
- By exiting the distribution opt-in screen, you'll be opting out of distribution. Let us know here if you need to opt back in.
- To avoid distribution rejections, make sure your podcast contains all of the following:
- Podcast name
- Podcast description
- At least one episode (with a title!)
- Episode descriptions
- Cover art
- Listening apps can’t list your show unless there’s at least one episode or trailer in your RSS feed. If you’re not ready to publish your first episode yet, publishing a short trailer is a good way to ensure that your podcast is available on all the apps you care about long before you officially announce your first episode. You have the option of removing this trailer once the first episode is published.
This is all important to consider if you have a specific launch date in mind! We suggest allowing ample time for the distribution process.
If you've distributed your podcast to external listening apps yourself, follow these steps to connect those listings to your Anchor profile:
- Log in to your web profile
- Click "Settings" on the top right of your screen and then click on "Distribution"
- Scroll down to the Manual distribution portion of the page and paste your URL into the corresponding box for the desired platform app
- Scroll back up to the top of the page and click "Save"
Once your podcast has been distributed:
- Any changes to your Anchor profile or podcast will reflect automatically across all apps within 24 hours.
- You must have at least one episode in your podcast at all times. If you wish to delete your only episode, first upload another episode and then you will be able to delete the original one through your profile.
- As your podcast becomes available on each app, an icon linking to the listing for that app will appear on your web profile. This helps your listeners know where they can listen to your podcast!
As your podcast becomes approved on external apps, you can find the corresponding links in your Distribution Settings. If you have already distributed your podcast externally, you can connect them to your Anchor profile by inputting the listing URLs into the corresponding fields available in your Distribution Settings. From there, we'll distribute your show to the remaining apps.
If your podcast is rejected, check out some of the ways you can fix it here.
If it's been over 10 days and you're still not receiving any notifications that your podcast has been distributed, it's possible that your podcast was opted out by mistake. You can reach out to us here to confirm!
Manual distribution or self-submission
If you've opted out of Anchor's automatic distribution, you can manually submit your RSS feed to your preferred apps.
- First, locate your Anchor RSS feed
- Make sure you’ve set your personal email address to be public in your RSS feed in the Advanced Distribution Settings.
- Copy your feed (it'll look something like this: https://anchor.fm/s/123456/podcast/rss)
- Enter that URL into the distribution submission page of external podcast apps like Spotify and Apple Podcasts
- Some apps may require identity verification with a code. This is typically sent to the email address listed in the RSS feed.