Once you've created your first episode with Anchor, we'll help you distribute your podcast to the following platforms:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Pocket Casts
If you want to make your podcast available on additional platforms not included in this list, you can either wait for us to support those platforms (we're adding new ones all the time), or you can just grab your RSS feed from your settings and distribute it yourself!
How podcast distribution works
We automatically distribute your podcast to external platforms once you've decided you want your podcast published everywhere. There are a few things to keep in mind about distributing your podcast:
- It typically takes a few business days for your podcast to start to be approved by external platforms, though some platforms may take longer than that
- To avoid rejections, you'll want to make sure your podcast contains all of the following before distributing externally:
- Podcast name
- Podcast description
- At least one episode (with a title!)
- Episode descriptions
- Cover art
*This is important to consider if you have a specific launch date in mind! You'll need at least one episode in your podcast for it to be distributed and approved, so if you're looking to release your podcast on a certain date we suggest you leave ample time for this process. If you don't want to release the first episode of your podcast, publishing a short trailer is a good way to ensure that your podcast is available on all the platforms you care about long before you officially announce your first episode. (You can even delete your trailer once your first episode is out, if you want.)
If you've already distributed your podcast to external platforms, follow these steps to input those existing links into your profile to ensure your podcast is published correctly through Anchor:
- Log in to your web profile
- Click "Settings" on the top right hand side of the page
- Click "Distribution" to bring you to your podcast's distribution page
- Scroll down to "Manual Distribution (advanced)" and input the corresponding links for the platforms on which your podcast is already available
Once your podcast is approved on other platforms
What you should know now that your podcast is on additional platforms:
- Changes made through Anchor will automatically update through your RSS feed to external platforms, although it may take up to 24 hours for these changes to reflect
- You must have at least one valid episode in your podcast at all times; if you wish to delete your only episode, first upload another episode and then you will be able to delete the original one through your profile
- As your podcast becomes available on each platform, an icon for that platform will appear on your web profile...this helps your listeners know where they can listen to your podcast!
Status of your podcast
As your podcast becomes approved on external platforms, you can find the corresponding links in your Distribution page. If you have already distributed your podcast externally, you can (and should!) input those links directly into the corresponding URL fields by logging in to your account in your desktop browser at anchor.fm. From there, we'll continue to distribute to additional platforms on which your podcast does not yet appear.
If your podcast is rejected, check out some of the ways you can fix it here.
Distributing your podcast yourself (manual distribution)
If you've opted out of Anchor's automatic distribution, you can manually submit your RSS feed to your preferred platforms.
- First, you'll want to locate your Anchor RSS feed
- Copy your feed: (it'll look something like this: https://anchor.fm/s/123456/podcast/rss)
- Enter that URL into external podcast platforms like Spotify and Apple Podcasts
- When submitting your podcast's RSS feed to Spotify, you may be prompted to view an 8-digit code. In order to receive this code, you'll need to add your personal email address to your public RSS feed