**Beginning April 1, 2020, Anchor will be waiving its fee on Listener Support until March 31, 2021. Creators who use the feature will receive the additional 4.5% in their Anchor wallet through March 31, 2021. We know podcasters are impacted by the world’s current circumstances, and we want to support everyone’s ability to earn money from their podcast.**
Please note: Monetization is currently only available for US-based podcasters with a US bank account.
Listener Support allows you to add a Support button to your Anchor profile. Any listener can pledge a monthly recurring amount to support your podcast — they don’t even need to have an Anchor account, so it’s fast and easy to start collecting contributions.
To activate Listener Support for your podcast
- Log into anchor.fm and navigate to your 'Money' tab at the top of your screen.
- Scroll down to the "Listener Support' section of the page
- Click the 'Activate Listener Support' button
- You will then need to set up a Stripe account (they’re the third-party platform we use to help process payments) and add your payment information to finish activating the feature.
- From here, search your inbox for an email called "Welcome to Stripe!" which includes a link to verify your email and start getting paid.
- Once your account is verified, you'll be able to start accepting payments from your listeners. This can take up to 24 hours; we'll notify you as soon as it's active!
*Note: This feature is currently only available to U.S.-based podcasters, but we're hoping to expand to other countries in the future
Troubleshooting Listener Support activation
- You can only use a debit card or bank account to set up Stripe; whichever account you use is where your money will go when you cash out your payments from your Anchor Wallet.
- If you’ve used the ‘Music’ tool to add copyrighted songs to any of your episodes on Anchor, you won’t be able to enable Listener Support until you have removed all music from your existing episodes. For legal reasons, monetization features can only be used by podcasts that do not feature third-party music. Note that this doesn't apply to music you own the rights to and added manually into your podcast episodes.
- Listener Support is currently only available for creators in the US, but listeners can support your podcast from anywhere in the world. If you're not located in the US and you’re interested in getting access to Listener Support, let us know! We'll base future availability on interest for each country.
After you enable Listener Support in your account, you will be able to access the money you receive in Anchor by logging in to anchor.fm, clicking into your 'Money" tab, and clicking the purple 'Cash Out' button at the top of your screen. (Note that it is not currently possible to manage your balance natively in the Anchor mobile app, but you can manage it from your phone by logging into anchor.fm from any mobile browser.)
Customize your message to supporters
When supporters view your podcast profile and click the option to support your podcast, they will see a customized message from you as to why they should support and what the money will be used for! To edit this, you can do the following:
- Go to your Anchor settings on the Anchor website and click the 'Money' tab at the top of the page.
- Scroll down to 'Listener Support' and click on 'More Options'.
- Customize your message in the box that appears on screen.
- Be sure to click 'Save" so this message can be viewed by your potential supporters!
Using Listener Support with multiple accounts
If you have multiple podcasts on Anchor and use the same email address to set up Listener Support, your balance will be combined across accounts. For example, if you have $5 from Podcast A and $10 from Podcast B, you’ll see a $15 balance in both accounts. Cashing out from either account will cash out your entire balance across all your podcasts.
If you don’t want to combine balances for multiple podcasts, just use a different email address each time you activate Listener Support and set up Stripe.
Deactivating Listener Support for your podcast
If you no longer want your podcast to be supported by Listener Support you can have the feature deactivated by contacting Anchor Support and requesting for it to be disabled on your account.
Disabling Listener Support will cancel all of your current subscriptions so your subscribers will not incur any future recurring charges.
Supporting a Podcast
To support a podcast from its Anchor profile, click ‘Support this podcast’ at the top of the page.
What to do next:
- Choose the pricing tier you wish to use. Current options are $0.99, $4.99, or $9.99. All of these will renew monthly automatically.
- Enter your name, email address, and card information (or, pay with one tap if your device has Apple Pay or Google Pay enabled).
- Click to pay at the bottom of the screen.
Note: You won’t see the option to support a podcast if the Anchor creator hasn’t enabled Listener Support for their podcast. If there’s a podcast you’d love to support who hasn’t done this yet, let them know! We’re sure they’d love to hear from you.
After signing up to support a podcast, you'll receive a confirmation email from Anchor. If at any time you want to cancel your subscription, just click the link in your original confirmation email to update it or you can contact Anchor Support and they will help you get your subscription canceled.
Want more info on Listener Support? Check out our blog, Word of Mouth, to learn more!